Unified Team Diving

First of all, I know that there seems to be a preference for Luxfer due to its buoyancy characteristics. I've read all over the net that Catalinas are simply heavy even when empty. Here are the specs as per their respective websites.

Full                 Empty
Luxfer S40      -0.7 lbs            +2.3 lbs
Luxfer S80      -1.4 lbs            +4.4 lbs
Catalina S40   -1.5 lbs            +1.4 lbs
Catalina S80   -1.6 lbs            +4.1 lbs

Personally, I don't find the differences to be too much. Need an opinion on what I should consider getting for myself. I've read in many places that only Luxfer should be used. But given these specs, I don't really see that much justification for the Luxer only idea.

I'd just like to get an opinion on the specifications here. Thanks a million guys.

http://www.luxfercylinders.com/products/scuba/specifications/us_imp...
http://www.catalinacylinders.com/scuba.html

Tags: catalina, cylinders, luxfer

Views: 978

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey.

It's not so much about buoyancy itself, but the weight distribution. Catalinas have heavy bottom and have tendency to trim with their bottoms down, while Luxfers tend to float bottoms up. It makes Luxfers better when used as a stage/deco bottle and difference is significant (I did try catalinas 80 as a stage and it was noticeable). If you are looking to double them up, it's not a big deal. Keep in mind that most people who start off on AL doubles eventually move up to steel twins and convert old doubles to stage bottles.

Regards
Maciek
I have never used a Catalina 40. But, I can't tell the difference with the 80s; the gas inside makes a far bigger difference than the cylinder. The nitrox ones are always "heavy". Hence I've gotten whatever is cheapest/easiest to clean up off Craigslist.

The Hymark's work fine too.
Hey there,

Knowing about the "balance" or "center of gravity" of the different cylinders is important. But don't just look at the weight stats by themselves, also think about how much your reg set and stage kit is adding to those numbers. What looks like a real floaty cylinder on paper acts different in the water when in use with hardware and gas...even 50bar of O2

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Students - Purchase Gear Here

UTD on the Net

In the News

UTD STUDENT PROCESS

New and Exciting at UTD

EDUCATIONAL MATERIALS

UTD Equipment

UTD News

CURRENT NEWSLETTER IS READY...CLICK HERE.
Click here for our Newsletter archive.

MEMBERSHIP SPECIAL EXTENDED THROUGH 2012!
Join UTD or renew your UTD Membership in 2012 and receive access to the famed UTD Student and Diver Procedures Manual and/or an ONLINE DVD. CLICK HERE NOW.

Contact Info

Unified Team Diving

Websites:
Main:
unifiedteamdiving.com
Community:
unifiedteamdiving.com/main
Students:
my.unifiedteamdiving.com
Equipment:
utdequipment.com
E-Store:
utdequipment.com/

Street Address:
11211 Sorrento Valley Rd.
Suite I
San Diego, CA, 92121
USA

Phone:

+1 (855) DIVE UTD

+1 (855) 348-3883 

+1 760-585-9676

+1 760-585-9681 (fax)

Email:

info@unifiedteamdiving.com

Email:

sales@utdequipment.com

unifiedteamdiving

© 2014   Created by Unified Team Diving.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Web Analytics