Unified Team Diving

I recently bought two HP 100 XS Scuba steel tanks. From an equipment maintenance, safety, and reliability perspective how low are people comfortable breathing a tank down? 

A few questions:

1. At what pressure do we really risk getting water sucked into the tank and then rusting/corroding the inside?

2. If you've surfaced with less than the ideal pressure remaining, what if anything should you do from a tank maintenance perspective such as removing the valve to visually inspect it or let it dry out etc. Do you feel it should be officially VIPed again just because you surfaced w/ a low pressure?

3. Would you treat an aluminum tank differently than a steel one?

For simplicity, lets just talk about the tank maintenance and not any gas planning. Assume we've completed any deco/safety stop obligations, are right under the boat at 10ft so we can easily and safely surface, and just happily watching something around us and want to stay longer, but not at the cost of our equipment.

Thanks,
brian

Tags: maintenance, tank

Views: 9

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I breath down to 200 PSI

1. SPG error range
2. 1st stage IP is 150 PSI

By doing the above, I avoid getting water in the tank and incurring rust and corrosion.

If there is air in the tank, I do not VIP again. If it's completely empty, I would VIP. I've seen the insides of some rusty tanks, and would definitely want to avoid. Dangerous stuff.

-Don
3-400psi accomodates gauge error and avoids any threat of water entry. I have never actually gotten to this point because I'm good for >60-70mins on an HP100. I end up cold or see all there is to see before I dip below 500psi anyway.

At 10ft you will theoretically run OOG (~140psi) before water enters the tank (~5psi). That said, if the gauge reads zero, a VIP is pretty cheap insurance for your tank investment.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Students - Purchase Gear Here

UTD on the Net

In the News

UTD STUDENT PROCESS

New and Exciting at UTD

EDUCATIONAL MATERIALS

UTD Equipment

UTD News

CURRENT NEWSLETTER IS READY...CLICK HERE.
Click here for our Newsletter archive.

MEMBERSHIP SPECIAL EXTENDED THROUGH 2012!
Join UTD or renew your UTD Membership in 2012 and receive access to the famed UTD Student and Diver Procedures Manual and/or an ONLINE DVD. CLICK HERE NOW.

Contact Info

Unified Team Diving

Websites:
Main:
unifiedteamdiving.com
Community:
unifiedteamdiving.com/main
Students:
my.unifiedteamdiving.com
Equipment:
utdequipment.com
E-Store:
utdequipment.com/

Street Address:
11211 Sorrento Valley Rd.
Suite I
San Diego, CA, 92121
USA

Phone:

+1 (855) DIVE UTD

+1 (855) 348-3883 

+1 760-585-9676

+1 760-585-9681 (fax)

Email:

info@unifiedteamdiving.com

Email:

sales@utdequipment.com

unifiedteamdiving

Classes and Events

© 2014   Created by Unified Team Diving.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Web Analytics