Unified Team Diving

Jan 30th, 2011 - Dungeness Crane (synopsis of previous posts into one thread)

As some of you may know, I have taken people out on my boat on serveral occasions to dive someplace "different". In that vein...

Its been a few years since I've been to the Dungeness Crane (http://www.boydski.com/diving/photos/wrecks/Crane/JuandeFuca_Crane.htm) and I was thinking about how its a pretty good prep dive for the Diamond Knot. And an awesome dive in its own right. High current, exposed to swell, but about 30ft shallower (max ~95ft) and small enough of a wreck to do as a no deco dive with 30min BT. Lots of fish and huge sponges everywhere. So anyone who is gunning for the Dknot this coming summer, or is a post "Intro to tech", GUE-F, Adv/nitrox or other tech-prep graduate looking to build experience in doubles with a "real" albit no deco ascent, this is the dive for you.

Obviously its a bit of a drive out to just past Sequim so I'm starting early. Slack before flood is at 10:30am on Jan 30th.
Required equipment is:
130cf or more of EAN32
Scooter and at least some scooter dives.

So far:
Me
Melody
Brian
Jeanna
Lynne
Peter
Jake
Ben

waiting for spot:
Lauri

Tides/rough plan:
Imagine a ~125ft crane on the seabed complete with lings in the cab. Its just west of Dungeness Spit, best/easiest launch is in Port Angeles. There's a launch inside the spit but its pretty flat and doesn't have any docks. Wonky currents here are pretty hard to predict but the currents on the 30th are (Admiralty Inlet)
ebb 0620 -1.6E
slack 0947
flood 1127 0.5F
time correction is +0:39 slack before flood, -0:07 slack before ebb. speed correction x0.6 on max flood, x0.8 on max ebb. So splashing somewhere in the 10am neighborhood gives people time to do a 30min dive, surface and immediately splash everyone else (before the first group is even completely on the boat). . .

Views: 32

Replies to This Discussion

Looking forward to this, scooter is lined up, schedule is cleared, 130 is full of EAN32.  I think I'm going to have to get up around 4:00 to make it there, what time are you planning to launch?
We'll be going up and spending the night in Port Townsend the night before.  I hope the weather cooperates with us!
Gas and scooter are secured. Just have to sort out the travel.

Ben, Jake,

If you want, your best bet is to stay at my place in Port Orchard/Southworth (along with I'm guessing Brian & Jeanna).  Then carpool up in 2 vehicles, I have room for 4 divers and even more gear in my truck.  We are 1 mile west of the Southworth ferry dock, the other end is Fauntleroy-West Seattle.  Just come over at some convenient time Saturday afternoon and we can all share a pizza or something.

Otherwise 06:10 ferry from Seattle (there is no Edmonds boat early enough) gets you to Bainbridge at 06:50 and then the Port Angeles boat ramp about 0820 (1.5 hrs).  Leaving the ramp about 0850 so this is do-able if you're efficient and squared away and only need to whip your drysuit on.

Praying to weather gods this works.  If not, we'll scooter the wreck of the Orca or something like that.

Thanks, Richard.  I'm in. I'll plan on being at your place Saturday w/ sleeping bag and appetite.  We haven't had a librarian convention since Oct.  (Brian/Jake can explain.) it'll be great!
Backup plans for next Sunday are:

If we are already over there and the weather suddenly sucks, Discovery Bay (Ed's Fault and the wreck of the Warhawk) or Wreck of the Orca.

If the forecast is so crappy its not even worth going over there, we'll be in the lake - everyone doing something new to them.  Lots of opprtunities. 
So maybe have more than 1 cylinder available, the plans will firm up as the forecast gets more reliable closer to the day.

Forecast is still reasonable as of this AM...

CENTRAL U.S. WATERS STRAIT OF JUAN DE FUCA-
 900 AM PST WED JAN 26 2011

SUN
 W WIND 10 TO 15 KT...BECOMING E. WIND WAVES 1 OR 2 FT.

RSS

Students - Purchase Gear Here

UTD on the Net

In the News

UTD STUDENT PROCESS

New and Exciting at UTD

EDUCATIONAL MATERIALS

UTD Equipment

UTD News

CURRENT NEWSLETTER IS READY...CLICK HERE.
Click here for our Newsletter archive.

MEMBERSHIP SPECIAL EXTENDED THROUGH 2012!
Join UTD or renew your UTD Membership in 2012 and receive access to the famed UTD Student and Diver Procedures Manual and/or an ONLINE DVD. CLICK HERE NOW.

Contact Info

Unified Team Diving

Websites:
Main:
unifiedteamdiving.com
Community:
unifiedteamdiving.com/main
Students:
my.unifiedteamdiving.com
Equipment:
utdequipment.com
E-Store:
utdequipment.com/

Street Address:
11211 Sorrento Valley Rd.
Suite I
San Diego, CA, 92121
USA

Phone:

+1 (855) DIVE UTD

+1 (855) 348-3883 

+1 760-585-9676

+1 760-585-9681 (fax)

Email:

info@unifiedteamdiving.com

Email:

sales@utdequipment.com

unifiedteamdiving

Classes and Events

© 2014   Created by Unified Team Diving.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Web Analytics